Ever since i arrived in Seoul, my number one place to visit has not been glittering lights of Japan, not been Shanghai, Macau or Hong Kong. It has been Jeju Island. I have read almost all of the blogs out there about the island, subscribed to everything about the place, have virtually seen most of the attractions in there, even bought five kgs of mandarins just because it said it was from Jeju. I am just crazy about Jeju.
Quick bits about Jeju-do
- Jeju-do, a volcanic island, was shaped due to the volcanic activity of Halla Mountain. Halla-san is the tallest mountain of South Korea measuring 1,950 metres (6,400 ft) Jeju volcanic island and lava tubes is South Korea's first UNESCO World Natural Heritage site.
- Jeju is acclaimed to be the "Island of the Gods", "Gift from Gods" and the "Hawaii of Korea". And is still remains one of the top honeymoon destination for the Koreans and for people all around the world.
- Jeju city is the capital of this (only) autonomous self-governing province in South Korea. Climate here is warmer than the Korean peninsula because of the warm currents around the island.
- Cherry Blossoms bloom in blankets announcing the arrival of Spring first in the Korean peninsula at Jeju. It is also home to the King Cherry blossoms which larger and more luxurious and are open only for 2-3 days.
- Matriarchal society of Jeju is home to the female divers (Haenyeo) to stood upto Japanese oppression in 1932.
- Jeju has the lowest crime rate in the whole South Korea!
ABC Wednesday -J for Jeju island